Trauma Institute and Child Trauma Institute Trainings
I am a faculty member of the Trauma Institute and Child Trauma Institute. I provide trainings in the following: EMDR and Progressive Counting. Descriptions can be found on the Trauma Institute website at childtrauma.com. I provide workshop trainings locally, nationally, internationally and virtually.
EMDR Basic Training in EMDR Training
EMDRIA-Approved training in EMDR Therapy. This course is the complete basic training and includes the required consultation. 52 CE’s are included.
For more information, contact me or see the Trauma Institute/Child Trauma Institute EMDR Basic Training description.
- Pre-Approval from me is necessary prior to registering
- All dates are mandatory. You must attend all hours of the training.
- The course is designed for you to learn and practice in between modules.
- You must have an active caseload to take the course.
- Most participants have 5 years or more clinical experience before taking this advanced level trauma-treatment course.
- EMDR trainings can be conducted at your agency as well. If you are out of the Buffalo area, I can conduct EMDR trainings in your state or country.
- Virtual Trainings -7 trainings conducted in 2020 and continue to present
- Buffalo, NY, 2–4 trainings yearly 2009–present
- Russelville, Arkansas: September – December, 2013
- Minneapolis, MN, 2009–2010
With Nicole Wolasz, LCSWR, we offer this extensive trauma therapy training locally and nationally. This is a hands-on clinical skills training for working with children and teens that have been exposed to significant trauma or loss. This in-depth extended training will cover impact of trauma and loss, identification and assessment of traumatized individuals, working with parents and other caregivers to help traumatized kids, practicing scripted interventions that directly helping clients to manage their symptoms. Therapists will also learn to resolve trauma/loss memories via Progressive Counting (PC).
- Virtual Trainings conducted 2020 to present
- In person trainings from 2015 to present
- Child & Adolescent Trauma Training (PC included): St. Lucia, assisted Dr. Greenwald.
- Child and Adolescent Trauma Training for Case Managers: Certificate Program for the Child Welfare Training Academy (CWTA) in Washington, DC. July to September 2014.
- Child Trauma Institute Certificate Program. Co-facilitated with Nicole Wolasz (2012)
- Child Trauma Institute extended training: (3 years) Catholic Charities. Co-facilitated with Jerry Kelly and Ann Beckley-Forest (2010 to 2013).
- Child Trauma Institute extended training: (2 years) Child & Family Services (2010 to 2011)
- Progressive Counting Trainings are held every year.
Integrating Play Therapy and EMDR
With Ann Beckley-Forest, LCSW, RPT-S, we offer integration of Play therapy and EMDR Therapy. We offer these trainings locally, nationally, and in Asia (China and Singapore). Our book was released during September 2020 EMDR with Children in the Play Room.
- Virtual and In person trainings since 2015
- Singapore in January 2020
- Peking University for psychiatrists and counselors: (2015 -2016)
Attachment and Dissociation Workshops
With Elizabeth Davis, MFA, MS, ATRBBC, LCAT, we offer a workshop on the topics of Attachment and Dissociation in Children and Adults. The workshop includes many attachment interventions as well as ways to manage dissociation. We offer these trainings locally and nationally.
This workshop is being revised and expanded.
Dealing with Challenging Clients: Why Don’t They Just Get Over It?
This workshop is based on the Strategies for Trauma Awareness & Resilience (STAR) program through the Center for Justice and Peacebuilding through the Eastern Mennonite University. I am a STAR Level 2 trainer and I provide these experiential workshops locally and nationally with Sue Klassen, MA in conflict transformation with an emphasis on Restorative Justice. These trainings are for human service professionals and para-professionals such as mediators, lawyers, clergy, human service workers and anyone working with potentially traumatized individuals.
In the experiential training you can learn the following:
- Common responses to trauma: emotional, cognitive, physical, spiritual, behavioral
- Transforming trauma: breaking the cycles of victimhood & violence
- Trauma intervention for individuals, communities, and societies
- Self-care for leaders and caregivers
- Restorative justice as a response to trauma—reconciling victims and offenders
Learn more on the STAR website.
Dealing with Challenging Clients: Why Don’t They Just Get Over It? Co-facilitated with Sue Klassen, STAR Associate. An Experiential Workshop for Implementing Strategies for Trauma Awareness and Resilience (STAR)
- Virtual since 2020
- Buffalo, Rochester: 2–4 trainings yearly from 2013 to present
- Baker Victory Services: NY, January 24 & 31, 2014
Managing Dissociative Symptoms Using Soothing and Grounding Tools
With Nicole Wolasz, LCSWR, we offer this training locally and nationally. This training provides an opportunity for staff and clinicians working with children, adolescents and young adults to increase their confidence in talking to clients about trauma, identifying dissociative symptoms, and to effectively manage these symptoms through creative and play-based soothing and grounding tools.
This workshop will provide scripts, demonstration video’s, and photo images of varied ways of using the techniques. Participants will also practice a variety of the 30 soothing and grounding tools.
Trauma Informed Trainings for Schools, Agencies and Organizations
I provide trauma trainings to many schools, agencies, and organizations in the area and out of state. Trainings range from 3 hours to a full day.
Trauma Informed Consultation
Contact me with any questions
- Catholic Charities, Buffalo, NY: August 2014. Provided Trauma Informed Training to Leadership Team.
- Harborcreek Youth Services, Erie, PA. Since 2011, I have been providing training to social workers, case managers, teachers and other staff at Harborcreek. In the last year, I have been providing consultation to the management team on how to implement trauma-informed care to the overall agency.